Food supplements are beneficial for health, although consumed improperly, can involve health risks. For this reason, our advice is always that before starting a treatment with nutritional supplements, consult your doctor or a trusted pharmacist beforehand.
What Are Food Supplements?
Food supplements or nutritional supplements are pharmaceutical preparations (vitamins, minerals, medicinal plants, amino acids, fibers, enzymes) added to a diet to cover a deficiency or treat different health problems.
Our body extracts nutrients from the food we consume to transform them into vital substances. When a nutritional deficit appears, it can lead to health problems. By providing adequate supplementation, we can complete the nutrient needs to provide the body with a better activity of its vital functions.
They are made from concentrated extracts of functional foods (fruits, vegetables, fungi, medicinal plants, etc.), thus guaranteeing their effectiveness, the highest quality, and the purity of their active ingredients. Food supplements come in different forms, such as tablets, capsules, beads, powders, and liquid.
Differences Between Food Supplements And Medications
Unlike drugs, nutritional supplements from snac sports nutrition supplement cannot be applied to treat disease, but they can be used as supportive treatment.
As we said, its primary function is to meet the nutritional needs of the body. On the other hand, drugs produce physiological and chemical effects, effects that vary depending on their pharmacological action, stimulating, inhibiting, or supplying functions and, in many cases, predominating before the organism’s natural response.
Benefits Of Dietary Supplements
Some food supplements help to ensure that our body obtains vital substances that we need to function. Others help to reduce the risk of the disease considerably, but neither can be used as a substitute for our diet, so it is necessary at all times to ensure good, balanced diet rich in plant foods.
The main benefits that we can obtain from food supplements are:
- Guarantee the supply of essential nutrients for the body.
- Balance the diet, especially in those cases that follow a diet deficient in fruits and vegetables.
- They favor an excellent supply of antioxidants that fight the damaging effects of free radicals, which cause premature aging and diseases such as cancer.
- Working as natural alkaline substances, they help regulate the body’s pH, protecting the body from acidity.
- Its contribution in proteins of plant origin contributes to repairing tissues, strengthening muscles, and transporting oxygen efficiently to the blood, among others.
What Are Food Supplements Used For?
They are generally used to cover the nutritional deficiencies necessary to guarantee good health, although nutritional supplementation can be used for different reasons such as:
- Cover nutritional differences
- Avoid diseases or conditions such as hypertension, cholesterol, colds, stress.
- Relieve symptoms or pain caused by diseases such as colds, arthritis, osteoporosis, anxiety, stress, depressed immunity
- Increase energy
- Slow aging
As for the people who can benefit from dietary supplements, they include:
- Women who are pregnant or want to become pregnant.
- Lactating women.
- Women with PMS or heavy menstrual periods.
- Women who are going through or have gone through menopause.
- Vegans and vegetarians.
- People with diseases of the stomach, liver, pancreas, or gallbladder, and those with digestive problems.