Kratom is derived from the leaves of the Mitragyna speciosa tree, native to Southeast Asia. It contains alkaloids like mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine that interact with opioid receptors in the brain, providing stimulant effects at higher doses. Advocates praise kratom drinks for providing a combination of mental focus, physical energy, and euphoric sensations. However, due to a lack of regulation, the quality, safety, and potency of commercial kratom products vary greatly.
Choose your kratom strain
Kratom is divided into three main strains based on the color of the leaf veins: red, green, and white. You’ll want to decide which affects you hope to achieve before selecting a strain:
Red kratom– Red strains provide the most analgesic and sedative effects. They are often used to relieve pain, unwind in the evening, or as a kratom drink alternative to red wine.
Green kratom– Considered a middle-of-the-road option, green kratom offers a balance of mild stimulation and moderate sedation. This makes it good for an anytime drink.
White kratom-The most stimulating strain, white kratom drink provides an energizing boost and enhances focus. It makes an excellent replacement for coffee.
Keep in mind that kratom potency vary widely, so start slowly with any new batch. It’s better to add more than to overdo it initially.
Pick your base
The base, or main liquid ingredient, forms the foundation of your kratom drink. Water or juice tends to be the most common options. Using juice help mask the bitter taste of kratom powder, but be aware that sugary drinks could dull or alter kratom’s effects for some people. Other alternatives like milk, nut milk, or broth also work well and add complementary flavours.
Prepare the kratom
- There are a few methods for incorporating kratom powder into drinks. The traditional approach used in Southeast Asia is to gently simmer ground leaves in water for 20-30 minutes to extract the alkaloids. Then the leaves are strained out and flavourings are added to make kratom tea.
- For quicker drinks, you use freshly powdered kratom leaf supplemented with extracts to increase potency. Mix the kratom thoroughly into a small amount of hot water or other heated liquid until it forms a smooth paste free of clumps. Add sweeteners like honey during this step if desired.
- For maximum convenience, you may choose to purchase premixed kratom drink powders or extracts. Be cautious with such products and start with half of the recommended dose to assess potency.
Once your kratom base has been prepared, you incorporate additional ingredients to improve taste, health properties, or visual appeal. Popular additives for kratom drinks include:
- Fruit juices – Lemon, mango, pomegranate and cranberry are especially tasty with kratom
- Sweeteners – Honey, maple syrup, agave
- Herbs – Ginger, turmeric, chamomile, peppermint
- Spices – Cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, vanilla
- Fats – Coconut milk, almond milk, half and half
The possibilities are nearly endless. Feel free to get creative and tailor your drink to your personal preferences! Just be cautious of adding too many ingredients as this overpowers the kratom flavor or dulls the effects. Kratom is what is considered a biphasic substance, meaning results depend heavily on the dose. At very low doses, kratom acts as a stimulant. But at higher doses, its opioid properties lead more to sedation.